Sometimes on blogs you won’t see too many pieces featured that go from season to season without going out of style all while being totally age appropriate to wear. Realistically who wants to only purchase dresses only to wear one or two times then be done with them? Don’t get me wrong, I’m obviously a dress lover (or hoarder depends on who you’re asking) but It’s such a great feeling when you are reaching in your closet for a favorite dress that you want to wear over and over again. This black midi dress from The Simple Seam (the same place I got this classic chambray dress) is one of those pieces that could last for years and be worn effortlessly. Not to mention, it’s really really comfortable. When looking for dresses that I want to wear all the time, I try to find good quality pieces then dress them up seasonally with the right accessories. I love that I can accessorize this black midi dress for warmer months then wear it again once it’s colder, probably with black tights, booties and an open sweater.
Tips for accessorizing a black midi dress for spring:
- A low heeled sandal in a fun color. Sole Society has the cutest sandals right now and this pair comes in yellow, pink and light blue shades (I also loved these and these too). I’ve been into all things yellow lately and went decided to go with that shade, plus I love how the yellow almost acts as nude color so it doesn’t visually shorten my legs.
- A classic tote bag like this one I’m carrying is so roomy! There are 3 separate compartments and the lining inside is an adorable black and white print. This bag comes in 4 total colors and if you’re in the market for a purse to use while traveling, I highly recommend it!
- A patterned scarf to pop against the black dress. The one seen here, a chartreuse colored scarf of a map of California really caught my eye. I love tying silk square scarves onto my bags to change up my look. You can also tie a silk scarf around your neck for another accessorizing option.
- Big dark sunglasses. I wear this style a lot and they are a much, much less expensive version of the ever popular Karen Walkers.
- A small or mid size straw hat. I love the structure a straw boater hat brings to an outfit and the short brim makes it more practical to wear.
I don’t do my nails as much as I’d like but when I do it’s usually because I pick up a new color while grocery shopping (I know, super glamourous). I had to tell you all about this Essie color called ‘Go Ginza’ I’m wearing here because the coverage is amazing. It goes on really opaque in just 2 coats and is a nice mix of grey and lavender. If you’re looking for a spring shade def give this one a try!
Exact Black Midi Dress (comes in olive, too): The Simple Seam, c/o) | Tote Bag: Sole Society, c/o | Italian Silk Square Scarf: J.Crew | Yellow Flared Block Heel Sandal: Sole Society, c/o | Straw Boater Hat, old: Similar Here | Emma Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters | Nail Polish: Essie in ‘Go Ginza’